The sun is finally showing its face but that has not stopped the rain and fog from covering it back up again — and weather can change quickly in the spring. If you are unprepared for sudden shifts in the weather while driving, you could easily end up hurt in a motor vehicle accident.
Knowing how to drive in rain and fog could save you from serious injuries. Here are tips for handling the rain and fog that could save you from a great deal of trauma:
Driving in the rain
Rain showers are just part of spring, but that doesn’t mean they’re not hazardous for drivers. To combat the issue:
- Turn on your headlights for you and others. Making yourself as visually possible for the drivers around you can reduce collisions.
- Avoid puddles. Puddles can put you at risk of losing traction and skidding. Puddles can obscure potholes that might damage your motor vehicle. Stay in the middle lanes when water pools towards the edge of the road.
- Update your wipers. Worn wipers will hinder your visibility by blurring your windshield.
- Give yourself extra space to stop. You need to keep more space between you and the car in front of you to brake safely.
Driving in the fog
Fog can be particularly to drive in, turning what might be an otherwise bright morning very dark. To stay safer:
- Reduce your speed. Your view is limited in the fog and reducing your speed will give you more control if you find yourself too close to other cars. Having more time to stop can reduce incidents. Fast-moving cars can be the cause of wrecks or even pileups in foggy weather.
- Find a place to stay safe. You may need to find a place to pull over and wait if the fog is too thick. Pull off to the side of the road as far as possible to reduce other cars from crashing into you.
- Use your low beams. Making sure you have some form of visibility reduces crashes. Using high beams, however, will cause glare for other drivers and obstruct their view. Instead, favor using low beams.
Using these tips when applicable can reduce accidents. Other drivers are not likely to know these tips and can cause accidents. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident then you may be eligible for compensation.