Understanding The Best Steps To Take After An Accident
After being injured in a car accident, so many things seem to happen at once. You need medical treatment. You can’t work. You try to figure out how to pay your medical expenses. The insurance company may be pressuring you to make a statement or settle. You don’t know how to choose a personal injury lawyer. With so many issues to address, it can be difficult to know what to do, when and who you can trust.
At The Accident Scene
If you are seriously injured, wait for help to arrive. Otherwise:
- Call 911. Even if your injuries do not seem serious at first, go to the hospital and let a doctor examine you.
- Exchange contact and insurance information.
- Photograph your damaged vehicle if safe and possible.
As Soon As Possible After The Accident
After an auto accident, there are many minor things you can do that may damage your injury claim. So when possible, it is always best to do the majority of the following under the guidance of an attorney:
- Seek medical attention and continue with the doctor-recommended path of treatment.
- Contact a personal injury law firm and ask for a free consultation.
- If you were not able to at the accident scene, photograph your damaged vehicle. Do not have it repaired until speaking with an attorney.
- Document the details of your accident to the best of your recollection.
- File an accident report with the police.
- File an accident claim with your insurance company, under the guidance of a lawyer.
- Do not speak with an insurance agent or agree to a settlement without first consulting an attorney. This is very important.
- Document your medical expenses and lost wages.